If you are like most American adults, you do not go to the dentist every six months as they recommend. For a lot of people, going to the dentist can be very scary. For some, the only time they go to a dentist is when they have an emergency. Emergency denistry services are always going to be more expensive. Taking good care of your teeth is the best way to avoid needing emergency dentistry. That means brushig and flossing regularly, something most of us do not do. It is estimated that only 22% of American adults floss every day. This could be one of the reasons that more than 70% of adults have periodonatal disease.
Reasons to Get Regular Dental Check Ups:
- Keep your natural teeth! One leading cause of tooth loss is cavities that are left untreated. When left alone, they grow larger and become more of a problem. When cavities are caught early enough, they can be filled. If they are left too long, more extensive work is required to save the affected teeth. By going to the dentist as they recommend, you can catch these cavities when they are really small, which will make caring for them a lot easier on you and your wallet. Waiting until they hurt and need emergency dentistry is one way to lose your natural teeth. While we can replace lost teeth with dentures or dental implants, keeping our natural teeth is our best plan.
- Keep your teeth clean. No matter how diligent you are with your brushing, flossing and rinsing regimen, you cannot get your teeth as clean as dental professionals can. This is not a reason to stop doing what you are doing but to make sure you get the regular cleanings as recommended by your dentist. Your hygienist can get all of the plaque that is left behind after you have done your best. Remember that the more frequently you go for your cleanings, the easier it will be to get your teeth really clean. Nothing you do at home can get you that “fresh from the dentist” feeling!
- Keep your entire mouth healthy.Unfortunately, cavities are not the only problem people have with their mouths. Oran cancer can be deadly. Like all other forms of cancer, the earlier this is detected, the better the prognosis will be. If fournd and treated early, you can reduce the chances that the cancer has spread to other parts of the body by nearly 90%. Oral cancer is one of the most deadly forms of cancer so anything you can do to protect yourself is a good thing.
- Keep your entire body healthy.Your mouth can be a real breeding ground for bacteria. At least 120 systemic diseases have been identified in people’s mouths. Getting regular dental check ups can do a lot to prevent the need for emergency dentistry but also promotes your overall well being. Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley have discovered that regular dental check ups can reduce women’s chanced for developing heart disease by about 30%. Given the fact that heart disease is one of the most common killers of American women, this is significant.
- Avoid gum disease./strong>No one wants gum disease. The best way to keep your gums healthy and happy is to have them checked and cleaned on a regular basis. More than half of all people over the age of 30 have some kind of gum disease.
- Boost your self confidence. Most people feel better about themselves when they know their smile looks good. Having missing teeth can make it hard for us to show off our smiles. Getting regular dental check ups can go a long way in making us feel better about ourselves.
Most people value their smile. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, more than 99% of Americans think a healthy smile is important. For many people, the smile is the first thing we notice about someone. When we have regular check ups with our family dentist, we can keep our mouths healthy and avoid needing costly emergency dentistry. That way we can follow the old saying, “Be true to your teeth and they will be true to you.”