Would you be relieved to know there’re ways to significantly reduce your dental visits? With holistic dental hygiene practices, the need for dental procedures which are often expensive and somewhat painful won’t be necessary anymore. In fact, holistic dentists suggest that a healthy mouth is a gateway to the overall body health of an individual. While this may not be entirely true, studies have proved that poor oral care and taking in a bad diet has a way of affecting other parts of the body.
Some conditions and infections in the body are indicators of poor dental hygiene. For instance, premature birth, diabetes, blood pressure, cardiovascular disease among others, are all associated with periodontal disease. Studies have also shown that gum disease is a major contributor of oropharyngeal cancer and pancreatic cancer. If you’ve been looking for solutions for your dental problems or you just want to improve your oral health, here are few tips to get you started.
1. Brushing This is of course the most basic dental care routine for a healthy mouth and beautiful smile, and it’s what most dentists recommend. Proper brushing means that you have to do it at least twice a day, that’s in the morning when you wake up or before you go to sleep. When brushing, apply gentle strokes while minding the gumline to avoid inflicting an injury. Also, make sure to thoroughly clean the upper, lower, inner and the outer surfaces of your teeth and don’t forget the tongue. Dentists recommend the use of ADA-accepted toothpaste and a toothbrush should be replaced after every three months or so, or when the bristles become frayed or broken.
2. Flossing Another way to ensure holistic dental hygiene is through flossing. Although brushing eliminates most of the food particles that get stuck between teeth crevices, it doesn’t entirely remove all tiny particles, which flossing does so effortlessly. Proper flossing removes plaque and prevents cavities while it also ensures your gums stay healthy. For best results, make flossing your routine dental care practice.
3. Oil pulling Just like gurgling water inside your mouth, take one or two tablespoons of coconut oil and hold it in your mouth for a few minutes while gurgling, and then rinse it off. Coconut oil is known to have antiseptic properties that destroy bacteria and other unhealthy microbes hidden inside the mouth. Some of its advantages include reducing gum bleeding and inflammation and it also acts as a good teeth whitening agent.
4. Salt water One sure and simple way of reducing inflammation especially after a dental procedure is by rinsing the mouth with a mixture of water and salt. Unlike the anti-inflammatory drugs, which potentially cause more problem to your mouth, salt water helps to soothe your gums and boosts alkalinity in your mouth, thus hindering bacteria proliferation. A great approach towards holistic dental hygiene.
5. Healthy diet You are what you eat. Well, that’s what nutritionist suggest and it happens to be true. Some types of food such as fruits, vegetables, fish and egg are known to help in developing strong gums, teeth and improve overall oral health. Sugary food and most carbonated drinks, on the other hand, are believed to cause a number of dental problems as they offer a thriving environment for bacteria to grow.
According to a survey by an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, almost all adults (99.7) believe having a healthy smile is socially important while 74% of them feels that an unattractive smile can destroy their career success. Why wait and be a victim of that, while you can follow the mentioned routines and achieve a holistic dental care.
Trackback from your site.